Since I haven’t posted any projects since the Button Swap I thought I’d show you some of the handmade jewellery projects that have been keeping me busy for the last month or so.
Its been quite cold here in South Oz lately (night temps below zero and day temps barely above 10C) and I’ve been wearing high neckline jumpers. So, I needed a necklace that sits around matinee length. This has become one of my go-to necklaces, the other is also purple but with more red tones.
The one thing I have a problem with is the wire beads, they tend to snag on my hair and in my knits. I might swap them out with felt or fabric beads, anyone with an idea leave a suggestion in the comments.
This next necklace was something of an experiment. I was given a little box full of discontinued scrapbooking supplies that included a set of metal frames, and oddly each have a pendant bail and two small charms attached. Since I’ve been itching to try my hand at combining polymer clay and resin this seemed the perfect project.
Because I don’t have a laser printer to print images to embed under the resin and clay “curl” I used some of my steampunk gears instead. No problem there. I’m sure you can see the problem I had right away. It was the resin, I couldn’t get it to dome at all (more like wavy in this photo) and looks quite milky. I’ve done a bit of googling and this could be a result of either humidity or possibly underdone clay.
This next one is a favourite of mine. Rosewood beads, aquamarine tyres and mahogany jasper paired up with a little polymer clay blue bird I made a few weeks ago. I used a tutorial in one of Christi Friesen’s books “Birds of a Feather” to make the bird and perched it on a branch made out of wood seed beads and copper.
Finally, here’s a pair of earrings I made just last night. Czech fire polished beads, copper findings and fibre from Mudhound Studio and my one of my favourite online bead stores Over the Rainbow. The colours are a little bright in this photo, it’s more muted IRL.
All these photos were taken with my iPhone and edited in Photoshop Elements 7. It turns out that the perfect place to take photos in the morning is my bathroom, of course the challenge is to get into the bathroom in the morning. One bathroom for four people, well it’s really a challenge.
That’s it for “Things I Made” portion of this post. Time to fess up for the things I should have been doing. I haven’t been doing the ironing and have done the absolute minimum of cleaning and washing. It’s not all negative though, I have cooked every night and done the dishes (well the dishwasher did ;) ). I suppose I should take a couple of days next week and give the place a Winter cleanout.